June 29, 2016
The pitter-patter of water outside and that heavenly musky smell. Rains are here! Gorgeous weather, beautiful greenery and an uplifted mood are the gifts of the rains. But it does bring with it issues of dampness and moisture – mortal enemies of a well kept home! Worry not because this is how you deal with this challenge!
There are multiple reasons for dampness or moisture to take place. Plumbing leaks, condensation, roof or basement leaks and even everyday household activities can be a source. Continuous moisture exposure can lead to peeling or blistering wall paint, deteriorated drywall, rotted wooden structures and dangerous mold growth and can also produce persistent odors that can make the people in the house sick.
Usually the signs of excess moisture in your house would be:
- Peeling and/or blistering paint
- Stains on walls or ceilings
- Musty or rotten odor
- Visible condensation on windows
- Visible mold and/or black spots
- Damp basement walls or floors
- Warped drywall or sagging ceilings
Some of the ways you can protect your home and walls from moisture are:
- A coat of waterproof cement paint is recommended for exterior walls
- Waterproof paint is recommended to ensure the exterior walls are adequately protected. This is important because concrete by nature is porous and allows moisture seepage to take place which can get collected within the walls
- Exterior painting should be done much before the rainy season. Similarly interior paint should be done so that enough time is given for it to dry off contingent that the exterior paint has been done properly
- Do not paint on moldy surfaces as it is likely to peel. First clean up the mold and dry the surface before painting
- Use exhaust fans in bathrooms and kitchen to increase ventilation
- Have floor mats to ensure that wet feet are not going all over the home. Feel free to check out our range of colorful floor mats that are for just Rs. 649 and delivered free anywhere in India!
- Space furniture well to increase air circulation
- Don’t block wall or floor vents (especially in the newer apartments with central conditioning)
- Check pipes regularly to ensure leaks are repaired promptly
- Wash and dry laundry with windows open (if washing is being done inside the bathroom)
- Wipe away condensation on windows and sills daily
- Use a commercial dehumidifier in damp areas
- Keep air conditioning drip pans clean and the drain lines unobstructed and flowing properly
A house that is clean, well maintained and cosy is a reflection of you as the home owner. It’s not that hard to get it done. Just needs a little bit of your love and attention. 🙂
About Art and Decors.com:
Art and Decors, is India’s premier, affordable luxury e-commerce brand for curated global decors and lifestyle products. It offers a wide choice of products across multiple categories like original fine art, designer décors, aromatherapy, precious diamond, gold and fashion jewellery and others from global brands and independent artisans.
You can enjoy Free shipment, multiple payment options including EMI’s and the industry leading A&D VIP Rewards Program that allows you to earn instant cashback’s and experience a world of privileges like special sales days and others. You don’t even have to buy anything to start earning A&D VIP Rewards Point! Visit the VIP Rewards page to find out how!